Thursday, June 4, 2009

Endings and Beginnings…

As I write this, my spring 2009 school semester is done. It was a rough one this time around with work getting in the way, financial issues on the home front and a myriad of other obstacles. I had started the semester with two classes and due to the above laundry list of issues in the past seventeen weeks one class became a casualty of the war! So I finished with one Environmental Science class. Even that one class was a real struggle these last few weeks. Still it looks like things will end on high note as I’ve earned a B for the class; not bad for a guy who hates Science.

I have to say that the Professor for the class really helped me out. Her belief in my ability to pull through really kept me from dropping out of the semester entirely and I’m not sure I’d have some of the revelations about my educational future had I done that. Many thanks go out to her for that support.

So as one thing ends so to do many things begin. Last week I started work on the Book to be Named Later. I had spent many days prior to that start beating myself up over my writer’s voice and even wrote a rather depressing blog entry about it. I struggled with what to write, what genre, what kind of character and finally I just sat down and wrote what I like. I like ‘trashy’ sci-fi novels and so I’m writing one. I might try another genre later but to get things started I am just sticking with what I know and love. I may try to write another genre during the NaNoWriMo month of November to see how it goes. I have a few ideas for that. I’m reading No Plot? No Problem written by the founder of the NaNoWriMo and I have to say it’s been encouraging and November can’t get here fast enough.

The other thing that inevitably begins when spring ends is that summer begins. Summer vacation (a whopping nine weeks long this year) should be fun, or I should say I am determined to make it fun! Last year it went by far to quickly and I feel like I robbed the Garbage Disposers with hair the opportunity to have a great time. We missed the beach altogether and only went camping once. This summer I’m really hoping to do a few more things with them. First up will be a trip to San Diego to see museums (hey they said they want to and who am I to stop that!?) and then who knows.

So endings lead to beginnings and off we go. I have a pretty solid idea of my educational goals and it’s lit a fire in my backsides. Perhaps the end result won’t result in any more money for us as a family but I’ll be far happier working on a degree I find satisfying than to work on a degree just to earn money! I have plans for the summer that will involve me spending as much time with the "Little Me's" as possible and life will hopefully settle in for a nice little trip through summer.

As the school years end across the country I wish you all a very merry and fun Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment