Thursday, May 28, 2009

Onward and upward...

It's that time of year again. It's a beautiful time of year when the temps stay reasonable and the sun shines throughout the long days. It's that time of year when the birds sing, babies are born and school is out for the summer. In just one week I will be done with yet another semester of school and my girls will be going on to third grade.
After a tough semester full of depression and uncertainty I feel more triumph this time around. It's the first time in a very long time that I survived a whole year in school. It's also the first time I've realized I'm almost done with junior college. It's still 18+ months off but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and a promise of good things to come. I have plans forming in my mind and they seem attainable if a bit far fetched. It's not a feeling I get very often. Work, school and family tends to bog down ones mind and its hard to see to far into the future. Yet, I've been able to.
This morning I spent a couple of hours talking with my Environmental Sciences Professor about school. We didn't discuss the class or the junior college and all of its little nasty oddities but rather we discussed the possibilities facing us. I got to share with someone besides my wife my ideas about what I want to do for school. I've realized recently that I don't want to go to school just to ultimately make money. I want to go to school so that I can be happy and to learn about something that really matters to me. My wife is crazy loyal and supportive and sometimes I wonder if she isn't just agreeing with me to make me feel better so it was nice to have an outside unbiased source agree with many of my ideas and even feel excited about the ideas. I felt empowered that not only did I and my wife think the ideas were worth it but a third party seemed to be jumping on board too. For the first time in too many weeks I feel uplifted and open to the possibilities and I have to thank my professor for that. She rocks.
So what are these wild and crazy ideas? Nothing super special I suppose just a solid idea of where school will take me. I've had only two passions that have stuck with me through life (other than my family) and I've decided to pursue one. I've been writing stories and fan fiction since I was a kid. I've been reading books most of my late teen years and all of my adult life so I've decided to try and pursue the art form. UCR has a bachelors degree in Creative Writing as well as a M.F.A. in Creative Writing. I am going to chase after these degrees and I don't care if they bring me work or not. To stand up and proclaim that I have a Masters in Creative Writing would be really really cool. I do, however, feel that by following this path possibilities will open themselves to me. By working hard and giving 110% something will open up for me and I'll be able to put the Master's to work for me. Believe it or not I feel....HAPPY! It's a strange feeling of late and I'm looking forward to holding on to it for a few hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment