Monday, July 27, 2009

Inspiration...

So last Thursday I packed up the family and we made our way to the mecca of all Geeks and Nerd alike. ComiCon! Yep, I hadn't been in about three years and the kids had never been there. We dressed the youngest as Han Solo and he sat in the stroller for most of the day just totally and completely overwhelmed. A few people recognized the outfit which thrilled the wife to no end (she designed it and made it). The Twins seemed to have really enjoyed it and Twin 2 seems to want to go back again next year. I am a proud Daddy indeed.

So where does the inspiration come from? Well I'll tell you. The art work, the creativity that exists within all of the comics. The tenacity of the creators out there trying to get their idea out in the open. We strolled through the artist area and there they all were professionals who'd taken a school kids desire and turned it into money. I'm sure it wasn't that easy. In fact I'm sure it was down right painfully hard. Years of struggling, bleeding fingers and dry eyes probably dotted the way before they're signing autographs or sitting on panels for DC, Marvel, Top Cow, and Image comics. But they started and despite it all they believed in themselves and kept pushing. It wasn't just in the artist area either, I heard people pitching their ideas in line, while walking, hell to anyone who would listen and it was quite inspiring.

I found myself sitting down and working on "Fistful" with renewed energy and desire. The first draft may suck but the ideas are down on paper/screen/disk and at the very least I think there is something there. So I am pushing through. I'm at about 26,000 words and I am sort of seeing through the haze of doubt a climax coming and an ending. If there is an ending it'd be the first story in many many years with an actual ending. I'd be impressed with that if nothing else!

So keep reading, keep writing and by all means keep getting your nerd on because, hey, we only live once.

No comments:

Post a Comment